Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Third Post and the Beginning of New Front Steps

Ken and I dug out a hole for the concrete for the third post in the basement (Atually, Ken did most of the work; I just hauled the dirt and concrete outside) early this afternoon, and Ken will fill the hole tomorrow morning.  We should be able to attach the metal post late Friday but, most likely, next Monday.
Steve will start building the new front steps tomorrow, so I did my part by taking out the steps and starting to take out the first step, which is concrete, with a jackhammer.  I could only get about 2/3 of it done late this afternoon in the 107 degree heat before I quit.  Steve or I will finish off the rest early tomorrow.  Here's a picture of the hole in the basement along with before and after pictures of the front steps.  I'm sure Gram and Pappa will be happy with the new steps.  Oh, we thought we were getting sheetrock today from a Troy, Missouri, company, but when they showed up they said they couldn't boom the sheetrock in.  They also weren't too interested in carrying it in.  We would have been more than happty to help if they had just started carrying, but they were a bunch of lightweights.  They ended up returning to Troy (1 1/2 hours) with our load of sheetrock.  Most unprofessional.  Can you imagine what Byron would have said to us Barry if we had returned with a load of sheetrock?  Needless  to say, they lost our business.  We should get sheetrock later tomorrow or early on Friday from a local St. Louis company.  A slight setback, but we'll deal with it. 


The third hole (12 inches deep) in the basement ready for concrete.  We dug out the shallower section (4 inches deep) in the upper part of the picture because the concrete was a bit weak.

The front steps before my late afternoon attack.

The front steps after I finally burned out.  Sorry Steve.

One of the three new posts in the basement. 

No comments: